Candida is a type of fungus, or yeast, that exists in balanced amounts in every healthy body. In fact, it serves an important function by aiding in digestion and nutrient absorption.
However, if Candida yeast is not kept in check, it can release toxins into the bloodstream and cause a wide range of unpleasant health symptoms, such as food allergies, irritability, yeast infections, sugar cravings, inability to concentrate, bloating or constipation, fatigue, headaches, thick white coating on the tongue, depression, skin rashes such as eczema, acne, low sex drive, and immune disorders.*
Candida is caused when the beneficial bacteria that usually keeps it at normal levels is diminished. This imbalance can occur if you take antibiotics, are under prolonged stress, or eat a diet high in refined carbohydrates and sugar.
The good news is that you can eliminate your symptoms by using diet and nutrition to aid the body in regaining optimal bacteria balance. Be patient though – it can take months before you’re completely symptom-free. Ask for help in making these dietary changes if you need support!
Here are 5 ways to eliminate Candida:
1. Significantly reduce your sugar and refined carbohydrate consumption. These foods “feed” Candida and perpetuate its growth so avoiding them is best until your symptoms improve. Eat small amounts of low-glycemic fruit to satisfy your sweet tooth in the meantime.
2. Increase naturally anti-fungal foods. Foods like garlic, onions, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, chamomile, lavender, ginger, lemons, and cayenne pepper will help your body rid itself of excess yeast.
3. Take probiotic supplements. Probiotics can be very effective at restoring the good bacteria that has been lost due to yeast overgrowth.
4. Lower stress. Since elevated levels of stress cause an increase in blood sugar, which could contribute to Candida growth, it is important to treat yourself with love and get plenty of rest.
5. Support your natural detoxification systems. Hasten the elimination of yeast that has died off by consuming plenty of cleansing raw foods, as well as naturally detoxifying foods like cilantro, parsley, leafy greens, beets, dandelions, sea vegetables, artichokes, turmeric, and apples.
*If you experience 3 or more of the symptoms above, it’s possible that you have an internal yeast overgrowth and can do a simple home test to confirm this.
Have you ever cured an overgrowth of Candida? Which technique worked best for you?